Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I feel her pain..

One of my dearest friends lost her husband to cancer yesterday. My heart goes out to her, I know how it feels to lose someone close to you to the deadly disease. Even though we lost different people to different type of cancer, we went through the same roller coaster ride, the ups and downs, the hopes restored and then being dashed again and again. When my mom told me that she had cancer, everything changed. Things were never the same again. She went for the operation and went through chemo and radiotherapy and other types of therapy. Seeing her went through all that just broke my heart. Sometimes I wished I could just trade places with her. All I could do was to make anything and everything easier for her and took care of her the best way I knew how. Life was very grim and to find a little light somehow was very hard. I knew my friend went through the same thing, taking care of her husband. The frustrations when the doctors told us that the cancer came back or had spread or the tumor grew, all the bad news felt too much to bear. The countless trips to the hospital, various medicines to be taken were too much for me, what more for my mother. On the few last days of her life, she was in such an uncomfortable state, she had to wear diapers because she was too weak to go to the toilet, she couldn't eat (appetite was non-existent), her back hurt as she couldn't change her position on the bed and her breathing was really really bad as her lungs were basically being eaten away by the cancer cells. I prayed to God to give the best for her even if it meant taking her life away. I couldn't bear to see my mother suffer anymore. God took her a few days later and I felt as if my life ended there. My mother is no longer here. But I know that she will always be in my heart. One thing that I think is good is that I got to spend time with her and asked for forgiveness and told her that I love her. That was what I told my friend that we got all those times to do what we wanted to do or say because we knew the time we had with them was limited and it was a very precious time indeed. I really hope my friend has the strength and is given the tranquility to be in this very trying time of her life...

May God bless their souls...

No comments:

Post a Comment