Friday, March 5, 2010

Share-a-cab...

Yesterday, the cab-sharing system was introduced in Manhattan. The cab becomes like a mini-mini-mini bus where four strangers can share on a cab on designated routes. So far there are three share-a-cab stops. It is done so that passengers would be paying less and the cab drivers could get more (the rate for now is $4 per person). The question for me is, is it safe? What if the person whom you are sharing with is a psycho? People would argue there would be psychos on the bus or train or any public transportation anyway, (psychos are apparently everywhere now). But a cab is a cab and it is small, so to my believe the danger is greater. Plus, you might be sitting in between two strangers who might do things to you or even have bad odour, and with the car window shut (especially during winter, who would want the freezing wind?), you would be in misery. I'd say, just take the bus or subway, or if you are on a diet, just walk. Maybe if you are in a desperate need and have not enough money to pay for the cab-ride, you could try sharing one but you would still have to wait for three other passengers to fill-up the cab. Come to think of it, Malaysia, in particular Kelantan, has implemented this a long time ago and is still being practised. It is known as the "prebet sapu". I still remembered I desperately had to go back to my hostel in Kerteh and all the bus tickets were sold out so my dad chartered a "prebet sapu" car and sternly warned the driver not to pick up any other passengers along the way. Luckily he didn't but then I still didn't relax during the six-hour journey. It was just me and the driver..I had to keep my eyes open..anything could happen but thank God, I arrived safe and sound at my hostel. Anyway, I wish this new system good luck because so far, the response is not really good. Maybe it is to early to tell, so we'll see whether this idea of sharing a ride with strangers would catch fire with the New Yorkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment